Marilyn Monroe, Salma Hayek, Christina Hendricks, Beyonce Knowles, Jennifer Lopez, Kim Kardashian, Scarlett Johansson, and Jennifer Love Hewitt – beauty divas who are/were always in the spotlight. Apart from being world-known celebrities, they possess an eye-catching hourglass shape, which is a dream of many.
An hourglass figure combines a large impressive upper body, curvy hips, and a distinctively slim waist. Are they just lucky to have such a shape? Partially yes; however, it’s also a part of a workout. We have a pretty good deal for you – why not kill two birds with one stone: while working out to get a healthy body, you can do the exercises to sculpt an hourglass figure.
And we will help you choose the most appropriate types of workouts to get an hourglass figure. Let’s get closer to the dream.
Why An Hourglass Figure
Traditionally we define 4 types of women’s shapes – rectangular, inverted triangle, a pear, and an hourglass; which one you have depends on your hormones and female’s family background. Fat distribution in women is at its peak from their early teens to late middle age. Sex hormones play an essential role in regulating and accumulating fat.
An hourglass figure is a timeless look; many women crave for it to be stylish; it’s considered the embodiment of femininity and sexuality. Although creating such a shape can be challenging, there are still ways to help – a healthy diet and hourglass figure workout.
You can create a more defined shape by toning the right areas of your body. So if you are looking for how to get an hourglass figure, then read on.
See also – What exercises to do to get a 🍑V shaped ass?
Importance Of A Waistline
A tiny waist creates the illusion of curvier hips – this is what gives the hourglass its shape. Apart from being a part of a stunning look, it also is a sign of your health. Waist circumference is a measure of fat around your middle. This type of fat builds up around your organs – visceral fat – and is linked to high blood fat levels, high blood pressure and diabetes. A larger waist usually also means there is excess fat inside your organs.
According to Health Research UK , A healthy waistline is anything below 31.5 inches (80 cm) (for men – below 37 inches (87 cm). You are at a high risk of health problems if your waist circumference is more extensive.
Checking your waist circumference will help you understand if you carry too much fat around your middle. To measure it:
- Find the bone at the top of your hip and your bottom rib,
- Wrap a tape measure around your middle at the centre of these two points,
- Relax and breathe out when the measurement is taken,
- Ensure the tape measure is touching your skin but not pulled too tightly,
- Repeat the measure two more times and take the average.
If your measurement is within healthy limits, then a perfect hourglass shape is right on your way with the help of special fitness training. If you over limited in the numbers, you need to have a medical check-up first, and then change your eating habits and behaviour, along with doing body exercises.
Exercises For A Slim Waist And An Hourglass Figure
Aiming for an hourglass figure, plan your workout routine to target your shoulders, waist, and hips. These are the areas of the body that make the dream image complete.
The best workouts for shoulders include shoulder presses and lateral raises; for the waist, try crunches and oblique twists; for the hips, try squats and lunges.
By doing these workouts regularly, you will soon make a difference in your health and body shape. So, what do you need to start with? Get off the chair and make your first big step towards training. We will help create a workout plan for an hourglass figure and understand their procedure.
The bridge is an excellent exercise for toning the hips and buttocks; it’s among the best workouts for hourglass figure.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles
- Raise your hips off the floor until they are aligned with your knees and shoulders.
- Hold up for three deep breaths.
- Lower back down and repeat.
Plank is considered a challenging but very beneficial hourglass training. It strengthens the oblique abdominal muscles, which don’t get worked as much during ab exercises such as crunches. You will hold your body on your side in a straight position supported only by one arm and the side of one foot.
- Lie on your left side, legs extended and stacked from hip to feet. The elbow of your left arm is directly under your shoulder. Your head is directly in line with your spine. Your right arm can be aligned along the right side of your body.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles.
- Lift your hips and knees from the mat while breathing out. Your body forms a straight line – no bending. Hold the position.
- After several breaths, breathe in and return to the starting position.
- The goal should be to hold for 60 seconds.
- Change sides and repeat.
Heel touchers are an excellent exercise for toning the abs and oblique muscles.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor.
- Raise your head and shoulders off the ground and reach for your toes.
- Touch your heels to the ground and then raise back up.
The chest press tones the shoulders, arms and pectoral muscles. Adding dumbbells for resistance, you’ll sculpt the upper body more effectively. It’s an hourglass workout with weights.
- Place a pair of dumbbells on the floor; lie on your back in between the dumbbells.
- Bend your knees and move your feet towards your butt.
- Grab the dumbbells and hold them above you – your upper arms can remain on the floor.
- Begin the movement by pushing the dumbbells over your chest, pause at the top and squeeze your chest muscles.
- Slowly bring the weights down to the starting position.
Windshield wipers – one of the best core exercises to build muscle across your midsection.
- Lie on a mat with your arms by your sides and your palms facing down. Your spine and pelvis should be in a neutral position.
- Engage your core and lift your feet off the ground to bring your knees toward your chest. Keep your knees bent or straighten your legs. Keep your legs perpendicular to the floor, and press your legs together to create stability in your lower body.
- Maintaining a neutral spine, keep your upper body engaged and slowly lower your legs toward the left side of your body.
- Engage your abs and begin to rotate your legs toward the right side of your body. l.
- Continue to alternate back and forth, like a windshield wiper, for your desired number of repetitions.
You will be interested in the article — Skinny legs fat upper body.
High-intensity interval training
High-intensity interval training (HIIT) focuses on shifts – short periods of intense anaerobic workout with brief recovery periods; it will be quite challenging for those who start. It involves exercises performed in repeated quick bursts at maximum effort – up to 60 seconds with periods of rest or low activity – up to 30 seconds.
HIIT session duration typically lasts 30 minutes in total and is perfect for people who are short on time.
HIIT workouts improve muscle and bone mass, stimulate significant reductions of body fat and are highly effective for burning viscera; fat, making your waistline more noticeable
How to tone your hips?
The best way to tone your hips is to do squats, lunges and fire hydrants. These exercises target the muscles in the hips and buttocks. By doing the sets of these workouts, you will increase the strength of your glutes and sculpt your leg muscles.
Extremely beneficial workout for building lean curves on your hips – it sounds impossible, but it is. It targets the hamstrings, quadriceps, and gastrocnemius in the calves. We can do squats with or without the resistance, but there’s a primary position:
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart (can be a bit more).
- Bend knees to lower your butt until the thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Hold for 3 to 5 seconds, then push forward and repeat.
Another beneficial and effective workout that helps you leave extra body fat behind and gain hourglass curves.
- Stand on your hands and knees, with your wrists under your shoulders and your knees parallel to your hips.
- It’s essential to tighten your abdominals and flatten your back.
- Lift your left knee off the floor and out to the side, so it levels with your level hip.
- Return to the starting position.
- Repeat 10-20 times, then switch sides.
You may not be able to lift your knee to hip level at the beginning, but it’s okay for beginners. Flexibility requires time and practice.
Lunges – a great physical activity for weight loss and a dreamy hourglass-shaped appearance. It tones up the hamstrings and quads if done correctly.
- Stand straight with hands-on-hips (for balance) or along the body.
- Place your right foot at the front.
- Bend the right leg at the knee to create a 90 degrees angle. Don’t extend the right knee beyond the ankle to prevent injury.
- Press your body weight down into your heels and inhale. You should bend your rear leg at the knee and balance on the toes.
- Exhale and step back to the starting position.
- Repeat the steps several times before switching the legs.
How to tone your shoulders and bust?
The best way to tone your shoulders and bust is to do wall presses and push ups for lower chest. These exercises target the muscles in the shoulders and chest.
Wall presses are a great way to strengthen your upper-body and prepare for the push-ups.
- Stand in front of a wall, extend your arms, brace your core and place your hands against the wall.
- Keeping a core tight, slowly lower your chest towards the wall.
- Pause once your upper arms form a 90-degree angle.
- Contract the chest muscles and push yourself back up to the starting position. Repeat.
Incline push-ups are among the best lower chest exercises; it’s excellent hourglass body workout that targets the lower chest muscles and develops your shoulders.
- Get into a plank position with your hands shoulder-width apart and palms facing the floor. You can lean on the flat surface – floor, mat, or rug – which is quite difficult for beginners. You can also start with your hands on a stability ball, a bench, or an elevated platform.
- Keep your feet together, and your body must be rigid and in a straight line.
- Inhale as you slowly bend the elbows to lower your body towards the floor until your triceps are parallel to the ground. Pause for 2-3 seconds.
- Exhale as you push your hands into the floor to raise your body away from the floor and back to the starting position.
Diet and other factors
Is there any other advice on how to get hourglass figure? Your weight is a decisive factor for an hourglass shape. While toning up your shape with the help of body workouts, you must also focus on your eating habits. Filling your menu with constant snacks and empty calories will not help the matter and make you gain weight. Be sure to have a proper amount of proteins, healthy fats and carbohydrates. Avoid processed meals with lots of added sugar and salt; besides, they’re typically quite greasy, which is harmful to your weight.
Water is another vital detail of your appearance – drink not less than 1,5 – 2 litres per day. It helps your skin turgor be stronger and gives your body strength.
If you need to lose weight, concentrate on the vegetables, and give preference to fresh ones. They are a treasure trove of vitamins, nutrients, and irreplaceable energy sources.
The bottom line
The hourglass shape has long been a type of ideal woman figure. Although the standards changed long ago, many people still consider a small waist a sign of feminine beauty. However, it’s not just a part of an eye-catching appearance; it also is a sign of your health. A big waistline can be formed by lots of visceral fat, which is highly harmful to our proper functioning.
How to get an hourglass figure? First of all, start acting. You need to change your diet approach and your level of physical activity. Secondly, don’t let small failures stop you on the way to your dream. Make a balanced diet, including a necessary amount of protein, fat, and carbs, but never ever consider starving an option.
Hourglass fitness includes many exercises which will help you tone up your muscles, making your upper body, waistline, and hips more distinctive. If you don’t want to sign up for gym sessions, go for an hourglass workout at home (but it requires more discipline).
If you need approval from others, you can share on Pinterest on Instagram, showing the changes.
⌛Can you get an hourglass figure with exercise❓
⌛Can I change my body shape to hourglass❓
⌛How do you sculpt an hourglass figure❓
⌛What exercises make your waist smaller❓