Did you happen to notice that the shirt or dress sleeves got shrunk all of a sudden? How often do you see different parts of your clothes get smaller than usual? If you feel tightness in your clothes, especially with the upper body, then you probably need to understand how to get rid of arm fat and what exercises to lose arm fat are the most effective. Let’s dig deeper into the topic and help you feel the loose clothes again.
What Causes Fat In Arms?
Fat in arms is just another sign of extra weight accumulation. When your calorie intake is more than you need, all the excess goes stored for a rainy day. The storage places are quite typical – belly, thighs, and arms. The longer you follow a ‘saving’ mode, the more places will have visible changes.
How Long Does It Take To Lose Arm Fat?
Weight loss is not a quick fat-releasing option. It requires a lot of diligence and dedication. Numerous factors have an impact on the way you burn fat: your age, BMI, complexion, health, etc. – they can either slow down or speed up the process.
The first and foremost rule to remember – is don’t rush. If you want sustainable and safe results, take a moderate pace. According to the recommendations, it’s safe to lose 1-2 pounds a week. It will surely take longer than you expected, however, you need to be patient. Some people get skeptical about such long dieting and exercising, and start following ‘super-quick’, ‘super-effective’, and ‘easy-and-efficient’ diets with workouts. They will quickly see the first results, but will not be able to maintain them, gaining even more in the end.
If you want to lose arm fat fast, please, don’t. You will just get disappointed and lose motivation. After 2-3 weeks of a healthy and moderate approach, you will feel the changes in your body, and a pleasant feeling of satisfaction with your results. After 3-4 weeks, the visible changes will come.
How Can I Tighten My Arm Fat?
When you think only about targeting the arm fat, you miss the main point of weight loss – it’s impossible to have only one part slimmed while others remain the same. The majority of exercises engage lots of muscles, influencing the whole body, thus, stimulating weight loss overall. Even if you intensively work on your arms, you see how the whole body changes.
Exercising helps to tone up the muscles and to create a calorie deficit, which is one of the pillars of weight loss. Besides, your body will become stronger and healthier; which is a great ‘side-effect’ of a new lifestyle.
Where Is The Hardest Place To Lose Fat?
Thinking about the hardest places to lose fat, can you name the easiest? Probably not, because weight loss is never easy. If you see how a new fad diet sheds 3-4 kilos a week, you need to be aware, that it’s temporary, as your body hasn’t changed its habits.
The first few weeks are the ‘introductory’ phase. You give your body a chance to get accustomed to a new routine, food, and habits. Once it learns the lesson, it will be easier for you to follow the weight-losing routine.
If you prefer drastic measures and instant results, your body will take it as another stressful situation, get rid of water excess, and then, having the chance, will return back to normal, saving more in case of new stress.
Whether you have belly fat, love handles, big thighs, or a big upper body – despite the place of fat accumulation, the approach will be similar – physical activities and healthy nutrition. And you decide if it is difficult and insurmountable, or challenging but rewarding.
How To Get Rid Of Arm Fat
If you set the goal to lose arm fat, you set the goal to lose body fat. To make it work, you need to follow several rules.
Tip 1: Aim For Gradual Weight Loss
The easier it leaves – the quicker it returns. The quickly lost pounds typically refer to the water loss, not the fat being burnt. You will feel proud when you see the numbers on the scales go down, However, after you stop the whole diet-workout thing, you’ll gradually return to the starting position and even more, as your caring brain and body will get prepared for the next time you decide to change their routine.
Gradual and moderate weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week, which is 500 – 1000 calories burn in a week. If you make a correction to your food list and start regular exercising, you will reach this goal, and, what’s more important, acquire a new habit of a new lifestyle. After such slow changes your brain and body will not panic and gain weight for ‘just in case’, and thus, losing weight will not be considered a stress.
If you do not know which burn 1000 calories workout are most effective, then read this article with a detailed description.
Tip 2: Aim For Overall Weight Loss
As we have already mentioned, targeting just one part of the body is not sensible. While doing different activities, you engage in several muscle groups, making the whole body work. Of course, the muscles that are directly involved in the activity get more toned, however, the whole body will benefit from the new workout schedule.
The main idea is to become active. If you start moving more, your muscles will have more work, you’ll improve your physical performance and metabolism, and so, you will start losing weight and body fat. As you see, by switching from a sedentary lifestyle to an active one, the whole body benefits, including your mental state.
Tip 3: Increase Your Fiber Intake
Fiber is a type of carbohydrate; however, unlike other carbs, it’s indigestible.  Fiber is mostly found in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and legumes. It passes smoothly through your digestive tract helping remove all the wastes and byproducts. It prevents constipation and improves gut microbiota, and thus, you won’t have a bloated stomach.
Tip 4: Eat More Protein
Protein is one of three main macronutrients. It takes part in the numerous reactions in your body, and ‘builds and feeds’ your muscles. . By consuming enough protein you maintain the muscle mass and help it grow if you do strength training.
Tip 5: Don’t Forget Carbs and Fat
Apart from proteins, there are carbohydrates and fats, which make the two other essential macronutrients. Getting rid of any of them will have a detrimental effect on your health, as long as our body is a complex of reactions, where every particle has its own function.
Carbohydrates, unlike the common misconception, aren’t responsible for your extra pounds and love handles. They give you energy for functioning and workouts. If you cut down on carbs, your body will start using the muscle tissue for energy, making it smaller and weaker. That’s not what your goal is.
Fats are temperature regulators, they take part in hormone production, and growth hormone in particular. It triggers the amino acids, which are essential for building muscle tissue.
Tip 6: Kick Refined Carbs To The Curb
While we praised carbs in the previous passage, we will now denounce them. What’s all the fuss about then?🤔
Carbohydrates are essential for the body, however, their type makes the difference. If your carbs mainly come from refined sugar and white flour, you get no benefits, but empty calories. They will provide you with situational spikes of energy, leaving you hungry after 30 min and full of extra calories.
Let’s just compare, to make it clear :
100 grams of raisins 🍇 – 300 calories – potassium, phosphorus, calcium, vitamins, etc.
100 grams doughnut 🍩 – 420 calories – low content of vitamins, high in quick carbs and fats.
If you eat 100 grams of raisins, you will feel full. It will provide you with long-term satiety. However, one doughnut will never be enough, especially with a cup of coffee while having a sweet chat with a friend.
Moreover, be attentive to sugary drinks, you risk drinking empty calories and putting off the fat loss for a long time. Reduce the number of slow carbs like bakery, snacks, cakes, and sweets and after some time you will start to enjoy the taste of simple meals.
Tip 7: Lift Weights Or Use Resistance Bands
Lean muscle mass decreases with age, improper nutrition, and lack of exercise. Simultaneously increases the fatty tissue, and lowers metabolism. Strength training can help you preserve muscle tissue and keep it strong, getting rid of fat storage. Besides, it helps to:
- Build strength in bones and improve their density;
- Increase the metabolism, and thus, manage weight;
- Improve self-esteem;
- Improve health overall.
Resistance bands are used to add more resistance to the training, as simple as that. Training with elastics bands provides involves a lower amount of force on the joints and greater output from muscles.
Tip 8: Add In Cardio
Workouts to lose arm fat should include aerobic exercises or cardio. Cardiovascular training is a treasure trove for those who need to improve health, increase lean body mass and lose weight. It makes your heart pump faster, delivering more oxygen-rich blood to the organs. It strengthens your bones, regulates blood pressure, and enhances your life quality and self-esteem – the list of benefits is endless.
The American Heart Association recommends achieving at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity cardio exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity exercise during the week. 
When in doubt about how and what to start with, go war a walk, it will help you refresh your mind and help you reach a necessary level of cardio training. Because walking is also a type of aerobic (cardio) exercise. Same as jogging, running, cycling, and swimming. The list offers a good choice, so don’t hesitate and try new experiences.
Tip 9: Get Adequate Sleep
How to lose arm fat? Get enough sleep. Sometimes we want days to be longer to do more things. However, out of 24 hours, you need to dedicate 7-8 hours at least for sleep.
After a day of functioning, your body needs some rest and time to repair. All of the systems prepare for the next day and your brain digests the information.
If you deprive your body and mind of quality sleep you will feel tired and lose concentration. Your body will accumulate exhaustion and the metabolic rate will slow down. What’s the result? Right, weight gain instead of fat loss.
Tip 10: Drink Water
Water makes up 60% of our body and it takes part in all the processes. It works as an appetite suppressor when you don’t want to eat but look for snacking (equals empty calories). The study also showed that cold water helps to increase metabolism and get rid of fat . 12 people who drank 500 mL of cold and room temperature water increased their calorie expenditure during the day. They burned between 2 and 3 percent more calories than usual.
Besides, every time you may feel hungry, you may just be thirsty. So firstly drink some water, and then see if you want to eat. If you find drinking only water difficult, try adding tea, juices, and coffee (no, it doesn’t make you lose all the water).
The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined the total consumption of water for men – about 15.5 cups (3.7 liters); for women – about 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids. However, the number must be personalized .
Exercises To Lose Arm Fat At Home
If you want to get rid of arm fat and bat wing appearance, you don’t need to go to the gym, you can reach the same effect while practicing at home. Even the most stubborn body fat located in unwanted places will leave your body if you keep training and don’t look for excuses. You can tone your arms and get rid of arm fat workout at home following this list of exercises.
10 Best Exercises To Reduce Arm Fat
1. Weight Lifting
Weight training is one of many ways to lose arm fat, increase your strength and tone your arms, it also improves your bone density. Weight workouts have you gain muscle tissue; however, only when they are performed correctly. Otherwise, you will have strains and injuries. When embarking on weight lifting, remember the basic rules:
- Don’t go big from the very beginning – start with the weight which you can comfortably lift 10-15 times. Lift an appropriate amount of weight.
- Follow the technique – if you don’t do the exercises correctly, you will get injured, because the muscles will not be working correctly.
- Look for balance – work all major muscles including the abdomen, hips, legs, chest, back, shoulders and arms.
- Combine with cardio routine – cardiovascular exercise will help you burn fat, while strength workout will maintain the strength of muscles.
- Take rest – it’s important to give your muscles time to recover from the training and regain their strength.
You will be interested in the article — Big upper body skinny legs.
2. Chair Dips
This is one of many effective arm exercises to build muscle mass in the arms and promote weight loss in general. As a bonus to building muscle and losing arm fat, this exercise helps improve bone density and increase your range of motion.
The first thing you need to find is a sturdy chair or bench.
How to do it?
- Sit on the chair with your arms at your side and place your feet flat on the floor hip-width apart.
- Your hands are down beside your hips and your fingers grip the front of the chair seat.
- Move your torso forward off the chair with your arms extended. Your butt hovers over the floor and your knees should be slightly bent. Your heels touch the floor a few inches in front of your knees.
- Inhale as you slowly lower your body, making a 90-degree angle with your elbows.
- Exhale as you push up to your starting position with your arms fully extended.
Repetitions depend on your fitness level.
- Keep your elbows straight behind you, don’t splay outward.
- Don’t shrug your shoulders – keep them neutral with your neck relaxed.
- You can make the exercise more difficult – straighten your legs and place only your heels on the floor instead of the whole foot.
3. Counter Push Ups
It’s a less challenging variation of a traditional push up for lower chest, which helps to tone your arms. It targets the main chest muscles and engages the shoulders, arms, abs, back, and hip muscles. It is perfect for toning your upper arm muscles.
How to do it?
- Pick a firm and immovable counter.
- Stand straight at a distance of one foot from the counter.
- Lean forward and place your palms on the counter, shoulder-width apart. Do not move your feet from the starting position.
- Inhale and bend your elbows to bring your chest close to the counter.
- Exhale and push the counter until your hands are straight. Repeat this 5-10 times.
4. Push Ups
The push-up is a type of calisthenics exercise. By raising and lowering the body, you exercise the pectoral muscles, triceps, and anterior deltoids, toning your arms. Push-ups are basic exercises used in athletic training or physical education.
How to do it?
- Get down on all fours and place your hands slightly wider than your shoulders.
- Straighten your arms and legs.
- Lower your body, bending the elbows, until your chest nearly touches the floor.
- Pause, hold for a second, then push yourself back up.
5. Diamond Push Ups
The diamond push-up is a great way to focus on your triceps, it’s like a bonus to all the other benefits of push-ups. However, this type is quite a challenge, so don’t expect to nail it the first time.
How to do it?
- Get on all fours with your hands together under your chest.
- Place your index fingers and thumbs so they’re touching, forming a diamond shape.
- Extend your arms to elevate your body and form a straight line from your head to your feet.
- Lower your chest towards your hands, but don’t flare your elbows out to the sides; keep your back flat.
- Just before your chest touches the floor – stop, and then push back up to the starting position.
Good to know – What exercises will help create V shaped butt?
Arm-scissors tone an upper-body area, strengthening the major muscle groups.
How to do it?
- Stand with good posture and raise your arms straight out in front of your body.
- Keep your arms parallel to the ground and retract them until they are even with your torso.
- Return to the starting position allowing your arms to cross over.
- Repeat the movement, changing the top and bottom hand on each forward pass.
Do not swing the arms, control the movement by focusing on the muscles of your back and shoulders.
7. One Arm Tricep Dips
Bench dips work your shoulders and upper body, however, only if followed the instruction.
How to do it?
- Sit down on a bench or chair, and place both palms on the edge of the seat. Hands are turned slightly outward away from the body at a roughly 45-degree angle.
- With the slightly bent arms or fully extended, slide forward until your buttocks hang off the edge of the seat; keep your knees bent and feet flat.
- Pull your shoulders back and down; lift your right arm and left leg up, and extend them out in front of you, keeping the balance.
- Lean slightly back, bend your left elbow, and slowly lower yourself down until the upper arm is just above parallel to the floor. Your buttocks should drop straight down past the seat, but as close to it as possible.
- Push yourself up with the left arm until fully extended. Squeeze your triceps muscle for a two-count and repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Switch arms and repeat.
8. Arm Circles
Arm circles are perfect for beginners. It warms up your elbows and shoulder joints, preparing the muscles for more intensive work.
How to do it?
- Stand up and extend your arms straight out by your sides, parallel to the floor and perpendicular to your body.
- Place your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Slowly and smoothly, with controlled movement, start to make small circles with each of your outstretched arms. Breathe normally increasing the range of motion.
- Keep doing the circular motion for 10 seconds.
- Reverse the movement in the opposite direction.
9. Single Arm Lateral Raise
The single-arm lateral raise is a shoulder exercise that targets the medial or middle head of the deltoid muscle. It’s a great option for upper-body days.
How to do it?
- Take a dumbbell and place it in one of your hands. Another hand holds something steady. Lean towards the lifting arm and away from the one holding the counter/bench.
- Maintaining the torso straight, lift the dumbbell to your side slightly bending the elbow. Continue to go up until your arm is parallel to the floor. Breathe out and pause for a second at the top.
- Lower the dumbbell back down slowly to the starting position as you breathe in.
- Switch arms and repeat the exercise.
10. Half-Moon Rotation
How to do it?
- Stand straight with your feet together and arms out to your sides, where your shoulders meet. Your palms should be pointed down to the floor.
- Count to twenty as you slowly rotate your arms in circles towards the front. The circles should be about 30 cm in circumference.
- After you complete 20 in one direction, reverse to the other direction.
- Lift your arms up and down once you have completed the set of circles, and count to 20.
- Move forward and backward for another 20 counts each.
- For the final part, hold your arms out straight for 20 seconds.
11. Opposite Arm & Leg Lift
This exercise is a good way to get rid of arm fat. It is used to strengthen the abdominal and low back (lumbar spine) muscles and stabilize this area.
How to do it 1? Leg extensions:
- Start on your hands and knees. Slowly extend one leg straight out behind you; hold 3-5 seconds.
- Slowly bring your leg back down and repeat with the opposite leg.
- Repeat 5-10 times on each side.
Arm extensions – when you extend your legs easily, add the arms:
- Slowly extend your left leg and your right arm; hold for 3-5 seconds.
- Slowly bring your leg and arm back down and repeat with your right leg and left arm.
- Repeat 5-10 times on each side.
More Exercises To Remove Arm Fat
Jabs improve torso rotation, abdominal strength and leg muscles.torso rotation, abdominal strength and leg work.
How to do it?
- Start with your feet shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent and your hips low and back.
- Bring your arms up; the hands are facing the sides of your face.
- Push your right arm out in a punching motion and then return to the starting position.
- Push your left arm out and keep switching sides quickly.
2. Triceps Kickback
Triceps kickbacks mainly work your triceps and strengthen the auxiliary muscles that help your hand extend.
How to do it?
- Stand with your knees bent and lean forward slightly, with a dumbbell in each hand.
- Keeping your back straight, bend your dumbbell; hold 90 degrees at the elbow so your triceps are aligned with your back and your biceps are perpendicular to the floor.
- Brace your core by lifting the dumbbell up and back, as you try and straighten your arm.
- The triceps should stay still; only your elbow moves.
- Bring the weight upward until your arm is straight; then lower back to 90 degrees.
3. Biceps Сurl
It primarily targets the biceps brachii muscle and can be performed using a barbell, dumbbell, resistance band, or other equipment.
How to do it?
- Stand straight with a dumbbell in each hand, hands by your sides, and your feet are shoulder-width apart.
- Squeeze the biceps and lift the dumbbells.
- Keep elbows close to the body and only the forearms should move.
- When the dumbbells are at shoulder level, lower the arms to the starting position.
4. Plank Sidewalk
Walking sideways with your plank strengthens your core, upper and lower body muscle groups including the deltoids, glutes, quads, hamstrings, and even calves.
How to do it?
- Start in a full plank position with your hands directly under your shoulders and your body in a straight line.
- Simultaneously cross your left hand over your right, as you step your right foot to the right.
- Then step your right hand and left foot to the right, so you’re back in plank position.
- Your hands move together as your feet step apart.
- Repeat this for 4 steps to the right, and 4 steps to the left.
The Bottom Line
When you get tired of seeing bat wings on your hands and search for how to get rid of arm fat exercises, you need to understand that spot reduction isn’t as effective as you think. Burning fat in a specific part just doesn’t work. When you perform the activities, you tone the whole body, building lean body mass. The reason for the arm flab and armpit fat is excess body fat. To fight it, you need to start a regular workout routine and change your nutrition.
There are many ways to make your nutrition healthier:
- keep the ratio of macronutrients – protein, complex carbs, and healthy fat,
- stay hydrated,
- add more veggies and eliminate refined carbs from your meals.
An arm fat workout will be effective if you don’t skip it or find excuses. Your dedication matters the most. Everything starts from your desire and first steps. Just learn to enjoy a healthy lifestyle; don’t see it as a difficulty but rather a challenge for personal growth.